Moving to Work
Robeson County Housing Authority has been selected to participate in the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) cohort #1 of the Moving to Work (MTW) expansion. Participation in the MTW expansion allows RCHA to develop local policies to meet MTW objectives, as well as flexibility on some spending.
What Moving to Work Designation is:
- Opportunities for RCHA and HUD to design and test approaches for providing and administering housing assistance.
- Opportunities to hear directly from residents and participants about what barriers exist within existing housing policies and requirements. MTW provides flexibility on spending and policy-making to make changes to better expand housing choice and participant self-sufficiency.
What Moving to Work Designation is NOT:
- MTW does not mean less oversight and transparency. MTW agencies remain subject to the full range of HUD monitoring, oversight and evaluation efforts. Public comment, input from residents and participants, and community collaboration is requested through the process. RCHA adopts local policies and program changes. HUD evaluates the overall impact of the changes.
- MTW does not include program-wide employment requirements! While we aim to increase opportunities for resident and participant self-sufficiency, we are NOT pursuing program-wide employment requirements.
- MTW does not mean cutting the number of households we serve. MTW requirements include continuing to assist substantially the same total number of families or more.
- Cost Effectiveness: Improve efficiency, reduce costs, leverage other funds, changes in staffing and resources.
- Self-Sufficiency: Incentivize employment and self-sufficiency for households
- Housing Choice: Increase mobility and access to address housing quality, neighborhood safety, access to community resources, and supportive services.
MTW Time Line:
January 2, 2019 - RCHA submits Letter of Interest to HUD
August 28, 2020 - RCHA receives invitation from HUD to submit full application
Resident meeting and public comment periods will open between September 23, 2020 - November 9, 2020.
*Resident meetings and public hearing dates can be found on our Calendar.
October 7, 2020 - Draft MTW plan available for 30-day public comment
October 12 - 31, 2020 - Survey distributed to residents & data analyzed
November 6, 2020 - Public comment period ends
November 16, 2020 - RCHA Board of Commissioners approval plan by resolution
December 4, 2020 - MTW application is sent to HUD